Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The few things I miss from home

The following blog post was written on the morning of the 5th of August in the car driving to Cape Town!

There are a few things that I miss from home.

I miss Mexican food-really spicy Mexican food, because I haven’t really had anything spicy since arriving in South Africa.

I miss my family and friends-or at least being able to be in easy contact with them while I am here. At this point it kind of feels like people have forgotten about me. Sometimes it is a real hassle finding internet, but it is something we do almost everyday. However, it is a little disappointing when, after the hassle of finding internet, the only emails I have are junk. Also, although I have free incoming calls, the only people that have called me are my parents and since it is expensive I’ve only heard from them a few times. I miss being able to call somebody when I want to hear their voice. I’ve never felt so disconnected from my loved ones. It might take some adjustment.

I miss being in the loop when it comes to the news. While here I’ve only seen the international news a few times. I am excited to be able to see what has been going on in the U.S.-specifically with the presidential campaign process.

I miss feeling safe…I will talk about that in the next posting, since it deserves more attention.

No comments: