Thursday, August 7, 2008

The impending journey home

The following blog post was written on the evening of the 7th of August while in Cape Town!

It is just about midnight as I sit here writing this, which will most likely be my last blog posting from Cape Town. I have a shuttle arriving tomorrow to pick me up for the airport at 7:30am…and after that I have one long journey covering many hours and many miles.

I thought I would share my travel plans with you in order to make you properly sympathetic:

Friday, 7:30am South Africa (12:30am Thursday night/Friday morning in Chicago) – leave hostel for Cape Town airport
Friday, 9:50am South Africa (2:50am Friday Chicago) – depart Cape Town for Joburg
Friday, 12:15-6:40 South Africa (5:15-11:40am Chicago) LAYOVER in Joburg (boo, long time)
Friday, 6:40pm South Africa (11:40am Friday Chicago) – depart Joburg for Dakar, Senegal
Saturday, 4:30am South Africa (9:30 pm Friday Chicago) – land in Dakar
Saturday, 5:30am South Africa (10:30pm Chicago) – leave Dakar for Atlanta
Saturday, 2:05om South Africa (7:05am Chicago) – land in Atlanta
Saturday, 3:55pm South Africa (8:55am Chicago) – leave Chicago
Saturday, 6:00pm South Africa (11:00am Chicago) – land in Chicago
Get bags and find a place to either: A) fall asleep B) Eat Mexican food C) Enjoy the warmth of summer or D) all of the above

All said and done, when I leave for the airport in seven and a half hours I am looking at over a day and a half before I get to my destination. I am hoping the puking lady isn’t next to me on the return flight.

Talk to all you Americans soon.

6 comments:

Asia said...

Your return trip sounds exhausting. I can't even fathom how tired you must be once you get to Chicago. I wish you the best of luck!

Unknown said...

thank you so much for keeping us posted for the duration of your trip. I wish you a safe and speedy return home!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh. that sounds long & exausting. have a safe trip back home! :)

Anonymous said...

I hope your trip wasn't too tiresome! I bet you are already in chicago and everything, but I wanted to know if you got my letter. I sent it to your original house around June 15th, and i believe you left for chicago later that month. Let me know, and thanks for creating this blog! You really made it interesting and fun.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Specht,
I is your mysterious advisee. I would have loved to have that travel schedule. That is incredible that you went to only 9 airports. When I fly, I usually have to go to fifteen at least. Next time you go to ONLY nine airports, call me up. I would like to see what it's like.
Your Advisee,
????????????

Anonymous said...

Well I assent to but I think the brief should acquire more info then it has.