Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hot Air Balloon Ride






The following blog post was written on the morning of the 29th July.

Anybody who knows me would probably agree with the following statement: Dana is not a morning person. Therefore, for me to wake up at 5:20am on a day that we could sleep in, well, it must be for a good reason. It was actually for a darn good reason:

I got to ride on a hot air balloon over a prehistoric volcano (now a crater), in Africa, with great people, at sunrise, while looking out for animals.

We met in the lobby at 5:40 and were picked up by the people from Airtrekkers. We drove about an hour into Pilenesburg National park and me the balloons, which were in the last stages of being inflated.

We climbed aboard and were quickly floating majestically over the park, watching the most graceful sunrise imaginable. It was a calm morning, so we floated pretty gently in the sky. We looked down and saw giraffes, hippos, an ostrich, a brown hyena, springbok, and more. The landing, which we were told can sometimes be the rough part of the ride, was even smooth as can be.

Overall, ride was fantastic, although a little on the chilly side. I am very glad that I decided to invest in such a wonderful memory and I recommend it to others who may have the opportunity in the future.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I would agree with the statement! But what a great ride!

Anonymous said...

sounds beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Priscilla said...

All I can say is.... WOW!!! Can't wait to hear all about the ride.
See you soon!

Anonymous said...

that sounds soo awsosome. It sounds like you had a good time :)

Asia said...

Something ironic is that I read this blog post at 5:30 AM, eastern standard time, which I think is weird, considering that you had to get up at 5:20 AM, even though it was on South Africa time.