Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Holy Crap! Driving in South Africa!


Night of 29th July.

Today Steven and I had to say good-bye to the rest of the group at the airport and it was kind of hard to see them leave, it is going to be different without them-although I am excited to see more of the country.

We left to go and pick up the car and headed out of Jo’burg, Steven at the wheel. We drove for about two and a half hours on straight , flat road with almost no traffic before we switched drivers at a gas station. Then, I drove us in the dark, over a mountain, with no medium, and with lots of traffic. The car did not accelerate well on up hills so I let it coast down the hills…there was a car right on my tail for a while, even though I was coasting pretty well over the speed limit down a hill. Then, snap! A flash went off and the police got a nice picture of me speeding. The car then sped and passed us. Darnit. We made it to the hostel we are staying at tonight, but I had to re-park a few times to get it right.

I guess I should be lucky we didn’t hit anything; it is tricky with the gear-shifting on the left and no cruise control! Oh well, it is a little funny. Good news: radio said it is supposed to be beautiful in Durban tomorrow!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I bet steven was being mean about your driving too. he's kind of a car snob.

Unknown said...

Did you get a speeding ticket or will that be waiting when you return the car?
Dad